Child Arrangements

Child arrangements can be a tricky business, unfortunately, it is not always easy to decide between the two parties what is best for the child, the child may want to do one thing whereas either parent may have different ideas.

Firstly, we would suggest you try and sort it between yourselves, if you can amicably, if not you may need to get a family law solicitor involved.

Child Arrangements are complex, the two parents must try and come to an agreement that suits the child, ideally, it could be a 50/50 co-parenting share but with work commitments and other parties involved this is not always possible.

Child arrangements should always first and foremost be about the child’s welfare and best interests. If the child is old enough a family lawyer will always be asked what they want, if the child is too young it will be down to the parents to decide or the family lawyer.

If you go down the route of child arrangements through a lawyer, it can cost. Firstly, you would need to fill in a C100 form, this will allow you to apply for a court order, which usually costs about £215.

This allows the court to make the child arrangements order, this will determine how the child is looked after until they reach adulthood. Basically, it will set out who the child will live with, spend time with and even have any contact with.

A child arrangement can also be known as a custody arrangement or a residential agreement. If a child arrangement is not followed or is broken, the court has the power to order unpaid work of up to 200 hours! They can also offer financial compensation to the other party and the transfer of the child arrangement can be transferred to the other parent.

Children playing